Monday, September 13, 2010

What Is This?


We saw someone moving this peculiar metal object on Gloucester Street yesterday, but the fellow went back inside before we had a chance to ask him what it was. I'm pretty familiar with most of the merchandise in the 1902 Sears-Roebuck Catalog (we had a reprint when I was a kid), and decades of going to Brimfield have taught me a thing or two, but this thing has me stumped. It appears to be iron, and must be hinged at the top. There are a couple of flimsy-looking, rusted wheels at ground level, but there are more hanging off the sides at the top.

If you know what this is, and why anyone would keep it in a small Back Bay apartment, please comment!

7 comments:

Kevin McCarthy said...

Wow, no idea. I'm guessing something to do with a fireplace?

christoph said...

Just a guess, but it looks like a frame for a chaise lounge that folds open. right now it is folded up with the top being the middle and the parts on the ground as the ends. When open the small wheels at the top suppoert the middle and the two pairs of wheels (one seems to be missing) support the ends.

Penny Cherubino said...

I see casters in at least two places. I'm going for a cot or bed frame.

You could send the photo to the Gibson House - I'll bet they know.

Penny

Anonymous said...

you flop it on its side and plow snow with it

Kat said...

Another vote for a cot/bed frame.

Charlotte K said...

They are using it now for whatever (ornament)? But to me it looks like something industrial, perhaps from an old textile factory or printing shop.

Anonymous said...

http://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/seating/day-beds/high-victorian-cast-iron-campaign-folding-bed-daybed/id-f_826665/