Tuesday, December 14, 2010

December Day

In my quest for my daily 10,000+ steps, I walked along the Fenway yesterday. It was one of those temperate, darkly cloudy days we sometimes have in December. The sky was pearl gray and all the browns, rusts, and yellows of tree trunks, leaves, and grasses looked richer by comparison.

Winter may be monochromatic, but summer is, too, with so much green, green, green. Winter is more complicated to appreciate, but it has its own rewards.


I spotted a great blue heron standing motionless in the Muddy River. I haven't seen one of these before although I know they are common. They are as big as Canadian geese. It seemed to be waiting for a photograph, so I obliged. But the bird was far across the way, so I reluctantly used the digital zoom on my little Leica — always a mistake because the images end up full of noise (pastel splotches) that I can't eradicate. Although I did nothing but correct the color, the photos look like I attacked them with Photoshop's watercolor artistic filter:


Not what I had in mind, but pleasant in its own way.

If you want to see spectacular photos of the Fens from earlier this month, visit this link at Cabin Cove. These are the most beautiful local landscape images I've seen in a long time.

1 comment:

Teri and the cats of Furrydance said...

I don't know if they have a nickname for Blue Heron's in Boston...but in Oregon we call them Shitaquarts...