Friday, December 17, 2010

Starting the January Sale Shopping Early

Through Sunday, Anthropologie is offering an additional 25% off sale-priced clothing, shoes, jewelry, and accessories, in stores and online. The sale area in the Boylston Street store is packed. If you spend $150 online, shipping is free. Since Anthropologies usually marks down items by about 50% to start with, this deal is about as good as it gets at my favorite store.

Several clothing stores seem to be offering unusually deep discounts and special deals before Christmas for a change. And the best items are selling out, so it makes sense not to wait for post-holiday sales this year. I'm sure the prices will be spectacular, but there may not be much left. For example, I ordered a few handsome items from J. Crew to give my husband when they started their 30%-off-sale-prices promotion, and all those things have since vanished from their web site.

At Anthropologie, I gritted my teeth, dug out my credit card, and splurged on a few items I've had my eye on for some time. I bought my favorite, plum-colored dress in a second color, and saved $100. I wear mine  often, and this dark blue version coordinates with almost every cardigan I own. I can wear these dresses year-round:


I snapped up this ribbed and cabled wool sweater for half price, about $50. This comes in several colors; I chose a plummy purple and gray. Here's salt-and-pepper:


I like the horizontal patterning across the back. It flares out in just the right lines to be flattering. It's very cozy, looks great with leggings, and is very interesting with long skirts. 

Hmm, this golden one is beautiful, too....


I also got this swingy skirt by Cartonnier, constructed in a complicated method using three rows of pieced rectangles of heavy navy fabric. At the waist is a removable feather butterfly that the cats would love to tear apart. This had been $148 and it's now $60. It's the perfect length, drapes beautifully, and looks like a vintage find.


Finally, I couldn't resist this leather-trimmed paisley belt, which matches everything I bought, and my plum dress, too. A mere $15:


That's it for me. Even if Santa brings me only a lump of coal, I can't complain. I can't whine one bit about dressing up for all the dinners, receptions, and other events we're invited to nowadays.

If you're looking for gifts, the store has a good selection of arty hats, scarves, and gloves on sale. Home goods and all the Christmas ornaments are on sale, too, although they aren't included in the extra 25% discount. I bet the cats would yank this yarn ornament off the tree and bat it around:



January is going to be very dull now that my closet is full. I hope I get a long, juicy novel for Christmas. In the meantime, I think I'll check out Anthro's Harvard Square store. It's in the former Crate & Barrel (or DR, depending on how long you've been around) store and they've made interesting use of the airy, modernist space. There are about five levels, so I get my exercise, too.

1 comment:

Teri and the cats of Furrydance said...

Cute stuff...and they even have pet clothes? I never knew! Love the stuff and they even have a cat wearing a sweater!