Monday, November 19, 2012

Dead Camera

My husband and I bought ourselves identical Canon point-and-shoot cameras last New Year's Eve, and we've been happy with them ever since. That is, until mine died this evening, refusing to close its lens and shut itself off after I took yet another photo of Harry being adorable.

The Canon S100 is not one of their inexpensive models but, almost from the beginning Canon knew it had this widespread defect that suddenly renders it useless. At first, it was thought to affect just a few cameras; now we know it's affected thousands. Canon acknowledged this last spring, and will repair the cameras for free. But I've read that cameras that were repaired are breaking again (imagine if your camera fails while you're traveling in some far-off country). So now I've permanently lost faith in my camera and the brand; this will likely be my last Canon. I figure it's only a matter of time before my husband's S100 fails, too, since our serial numbers are consecutive and both are within the large range of numbers posted by the company as potentially defective.

I'll probably be stuck without a camera for at least a week, and a week is A Very Long Time when there's a photogenic kitten in the house. At least I have an iPhone. I could use my husband's camera, but I don't want to be the one holding it when it decides to bite the dust, too. I still have my old Leica point-and-shoot but, now that I think about it, it broke around this time last year, which is why I replaced it. I tend to hang onto a camera for years.

We bought the Canons at Bromfield Camera, downtown. Although we buy plenty of stuff online, we felt it was worth paying a little more to patronize an excellent local business. When we're camera shopping, we need to try out different models and talk them over with salespeople. I have to handle a camera, test its controls, and enjoy how it feels in my hands before I buy it — sometimes a perfectly good camera just feels awkward to handle, or the controls are hard to use, or the operating system is counter-intuitive. So it would be terrible if more camera shops (farewell, Ritz...) went the way of most of our bookstores. Now I have another, unfortunate reason to be glad that we bought locally. I'll walk over to Bromfield Street tomorrow and report back on what they tell me.

In the meantime, I still have a few more photos of Harry being adorable:

He's an unusually tall kitten, I think, with long legs and good posture.

1 comment:

Anne in FL said...

Funny how someone so cute can just sit in one place and people still oh & ahh over the coteness ooozing forth.