Friday, August 7, 2009

Vertigo?!

Yesterday, I opened my eyes at 6 am and found our entire bedroom spinning around in an annoying and rather nauseating way. For 3 hours, I tried to lie still on my pillow because turning my head an inch too much in any direction made the room spin again. My wonderful husband brought me water, tried to reassure me, and stayed home from work to keep an eye on me.

At around 9 am, the spinning stopped and I could get out of bed and go about my day, feeling only slightly dizzy and out of it. My doctor is on vacation, but her substitute promptly returned me call. "Benign positional vertigo," she said. "Do you have a cold or virus? Did you hit your head? Sometimes it just happens for no reason. It should go away on its own, but if it doesn't, you should be seen."

I went to bed with a little trepidation last night, hoping I wouldn't wake up on the Tilt-a-Whirl again. At around 9 am today, as I was luxuriously turning my head from side to side in blessed relief —the room began spinning again. I sat up straight; it stopped. I feel a little dizzier today, but not too bad. Sort of like I've had a stiff drink.

The vertigo starts if I turn my head too much, look toward the ceiling, or tilt my head back. I'm going to see my doctor on Monday, and in the meantime, Dramamine is supposed to help. I will definitely not be seeing the latest Harry Potter movie at the IMAX this weekend. Who knew that suddenly your whole world could be transformed into an amusement-park ride?

1 comment:

  1. Awful. It happened to me about 10 years ago. Doctor declared virus. It came on out of nowhere one day on the Green Line and lasted most of the summer. One day it just went away.

    The same summer 3 or 4 other people I knew had it. Sorry to hear you are going thru this.

    ReplyDelete

Unless you are spamming me about, say, Skype, I love getting comments and do my best to follow up if you have a question. I delete ALL spam, attempts to market other websites, and anything nasty or unintelligible. The cats and I thank you for reading — and please do leave a comment that isn't spam, etc.