Thursday, September 24, 2009

Calico Prospects

This weekend, we have a date with a kitten. I've been hunting for a new cat every night on Petfinder.com, and have applied to meet three prospects in our area. I've also found amazing cats as far away as Arizona. But I've come to realize that a New England cat is more likely to share our political and sports affiliations.

Here's our first prospect:


She reminds me very much of our dear Bunny, who had a similar, heart-shaped face, almond-shaped eyes, and calico markings. I miss her like hell. I keep telling myself that I will never have another cat as marvelous, but part of me clearly isn't getting the message and is determined to try. I can't shake my belief that cats who look the same should have similar personalities. I know I'm probably setting myself up for a fall, but I can't help it.

Because this kitten is so young, she hasn't developed her "people skills" yet, so it would be up to me to help her learn to love petting, conversation, laps, cheese, sprawling on our bed pillows, and bossing us around. I think I can do this, if she's at all willing to cooperate. I hope she likes us. It would be great if she liked our male cat, too. I think he needs a playmate; he's never had one. And he's been so bored lately that he's been sneaking onto my computer — rather skillfully.

I'm also waiting to hear about my application to meet this cat:


She is the most Bunny-esque cat waiting for adoption in New England, and she has a hard-luck story. She was abandoned in a house with 15 other cats and not much food. They were flea-infested, and she's missing a lot of fur on her tail from that.

Imagine moving out of your house and leaving 16 cats and kittens behind. What kind of person would do that? I can't fathom it, and I have a good imagination. My dad told me that, back home, they rescued 80 sick and starving cats from some poor old lady's filthy house. I can understand how that situation can happen, through misguided thinking, love, and hoarding tendencies, over a stretch of years. But how do you lock the door and walk away from 16 helpless animal friends forever, not caring if they'll starve?

I have to admit that this calico doesn't strike me as the sweetest-looking cat — she looks like she's considering biting somebody, actually. But it also seems that someone plopped her down in the middle of a prickly silk flower arrangement for her photo, so she has every right to be annoyed. Her foster mom describes her as sweet and friendly, and she also has extra toes on her front paws, which I love.

So, fingers crossed.... I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

  1. I like prospect #1 and hope you ultimately get a pet that you enjoy living with and serving =^..^=

    ReplyDelete

Unless you are spamming me about, say, Skype, I love getting comments and do my best to follow up if you have a question. I delete ALL spam, attempts to market other websites, and anything nasty or unintelligible. The cats and I thank you for reading — and please do leave a comment that isn't spam, etc.