Sunday, July 4, 2010

Postcards from Maine: Floral Beauty

The residents of Mount Desert Island take flowers seriously. Here are some photos from Thuya Lodge in Northeast Harbor, which belonged to Joseph Curtis early in the 20th century, and was landscaped by Charles Savage in 1956. Here's the entrance to the garden, followed by some of the perennials and annuals that cover the grounds:





Closer to home, this house on the Clark Point Road has a wonderful garden in the front and Southwest Harbor itself in the backyard:



There are always lots of flowers around our inn, too. This enormous pot of nasturtiums probably came from the Clark Point Road house, above, which had a yard sale on Sunday. They offered several big pots of flowers, which were all snapped up instantly by our clever innkeeper. I could never get nasturtiums to grow in the city; they always get infested with bugs and shrivel up, so I'm very jealous of these:



These flowers are best viewed while floating in the pool:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unless you are spamming me about, say, Skype, I love getting comments and do my best to follow up if you have a question. I delete ALL spam, attempts to market other websites, and anything nasty or unintelligible. The cats and I thank you for reading — and please do leave a comment that isn't spam, etc.