Saturday, July 31, 2010

Singing Change Guy

We walked home tonight after seeing a fine performance of Othello, the first Shakespeare on the Common production that we've seen. Afterward, the Singing Change Guy was there, serenading everyone heading to the parking lot, working double overtime at 11:15 on a Saturday night.

You surely know the man I mean. An older, burly guy, he has a rich baritone and sings only one tune. But his lyrics describe whoever is passing nearby. Tonight we heard:

   Is anybody carrying lawn chairs? Does anybody have some change?
   Is anybody wearing a silly grin? Does anybody have a backpack?
   Is anybody holding hands? Does anybody have any change?
   Change, change, change, change, change, change, 
   Does anybody have some change, change, change?

I've been listening to this guy for years and I think he's charming. I've never heard him sing anything that wasn't good-natured and polite. I'm beginning to think that he ought to receive a stipend from the City because his performances add so much color and life to Boston's streets. He's an artist in his way, and a local treasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unless you are spamming me about, say, Skype, I love getting comments and do my best to follow up if you have a question. I delete ALL spam, attempts to market other websites, and anything nasty or unintelligible. The cats and I thank you for reading — and please do leave a comment that isn't spam, etc.