Thursday, August 26, 2010

Maine: In and Out of the Gardens

I love the postage-stamp gardens of our neighbors; each one is unique and has something to admire. I also love the flowerbeds in the Public Garden, which are often very exotic, with bougainvillea and bamboo, rarities in a New England climate. I used to spend a lot of time in the Fenway Rose Garden, where you can sniff away amid the buzzing bees. And the Victory Gardens are also fun to visit.

But there's nothing like an expansive, expensive, well-tended, privately funded garden.

There are a few excellent gardens on Mount Desert Island, Maine:

Thuya Lodge

Joe Pye Weed, as tall as a person

A perfect, psychedelic dahlia

Lazy butterfly

The garden outside the wine and cheese shop in Southwest Harbor

Flowers on the porch at the Claremont Hotel

Asticou Azalea Garden in Northeast Harbor

The first autumn leaves are already falling at Asticou


I'm sorry I don't have any photos of the Rockefeller Gardens, which are just as extraordinary as you might imagine. Next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unless you are spamming me about, say, Skype, I love getting comments and do my best to follow up if you have a question. I delete ALL spam, attempts to market other websites, and anything nasty or unintelligible. The cats and I thank you for reading — and please do leave a comment that isn't spam, etc.