Thursday, March 3, 2011

Snow-Proof Flowering Plant?

I spotted this plant on the sunny side of Commonwealth Avenue yesterday. It must have been buried under snow until recently, but it's been blooming. Much of it is flattened and sad-looking, but parts of it are in much better shape. And the whole plant has plenty of white and pale yellow blooms and buds.


If you can identify it for me, please do! It was almost unnerving to see it at this time of year, when other gardens are still piled with snow. This garden also has a budding rhododendron. Spring is in the preparation stages, anyhow.


Update:  Christmas rose, also known as hellebore! Thanks, Teri and CK for enlightening me!  It must have survived and kept blooming through all the snow, amazing.

6 comments:

  1. Those are hellebores, also known as Christmas Roses, because in some places they do bloom around Christmas. They are a winter-flowering plant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Winter Aconite?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eranthis

    http://www.imagekind.com/Winter-Aconite-art?IMID=4b0cb811-4bd5-4716-9d1d-9b5120aa1037

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christmas Rose?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellebore

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a hardy plant!Isn't it "ah" inspiring to finally see some green and even better to see a bloom?

    I'm so looking forward to the green points and snowdrops, crocuses, daffs, et al.

    (Totally off topic, but just in case you are heading Cambridge way, the Goodwill in Central Square is having a 50% off all coats and sweaters 3/3-3/5, and the manager said that he ordered as many racks of goods from HQ as they can bring. I left when I couldn't carry any more, but he assured me that much more is on the way. At $2.50 a a pop for cashmere, lambswool, merino and even some spring and summer weight silk, well... My closet overfloweth, and the Woolite situation is looking a little grave.)

    ~aek

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darn it, aek, I was in the Central Square Goodwill YESTERDAY! They were moving stuff around, it looked pretty empty, and now I know why. But I've never had any luck finding anything at a Goodwill although I keep trying. I have friends who won't shop anywhere else and they always look great in their amazing finds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel your pain! I have either entirely wonderful or absolutely awful shopping experiences there.

    But, psst, my favorite, always wonderful, thrift is SisterThrift in Watertown. The owners are two sisters who send a % of profits to the MetroWest Humane Society. I have a feeling that a lot of Newton matrons are donors.

    ~aek

    ReplyDelete

Unless you are spamming me about, say, Skype, I love getting comments and do my best to follow up if you have a question. I delete ALL spam, attempts to market other websites, and anything nasty or unintelligible. The cats and I thank you for reading — and please do leave a comment that isn't spam, etc.