Thursday, April 21, 2011

Current Craving: Guacamole

The scene chez APB was unusually colorful this afternoon. 

I love guacamole. Is there any better food that isn't primarily chocolate or cheese? Is there any fruit more luxurious? I've been craving it for days but had to wait for my avocados to ripen. I made a batch yesterday, ate half for lunch, and found myself licking the bowl and spoon after reluctantly putting the rest in the fridge for today.

An avocado has about 14 grams of fat, mostly the heart-healthy, monounsaturated kind. I don't care.

My guacamole isn't exciting, just avocados, tomatoes, lime juice, and sea salt. An avocado on its own is kind of tasteless although its texture compensates. Silky. Creamy. Buttery. I think of it as a luxury vehicle for lime juice and salt. If you ask me, the tomatoes are filler, too, unless it's high summer and they ripened on a local vine. I never bother with garlic, onion, hot peppers, sour cream, or cilantro (might as well add a jigger of dish soap).

Just give me guacamole that's as pure and simple as can be. And give me lots of it, and watch it all disappear.

Instead of tortilla chips, I scoop it up with Trader Joe's Reduced Guilt Pita Chips with Sea Salt. They have a satisfying, salty crunch despite being low fat. They are small and sturdy — that's important for scooping up tons of guacamole. For me, the chip is mere transportation for the green stuff. 

I wouldn't mind eating it like pudding with a spoon, actually. Now there's an idea... but, in fact, you need the chips because they slow you down. Concentrating on piling the maximum amount of guacamole on each chip prevents you from inhaling the stuff and lets you savor each mouthful.

2 comments:

  1. Have you ever tried those avocado smoothies in Chinatown? I am afraid of them, but Dave loves them! Me, I am pro Guac. So easy to make!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it...guac for breakfast! I love cilantro and often add more than what's already added to most salsas...but my brother thinks it tastes like soapsuds or pickles...

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments and do my best to follow up if you have a question. I delete spam, attempts to market other websites, and anything nasty or unintelligible. The cats and I thank you for reading — and please do leave a comment that isn't spam, etc.