Thursday, April 28, 2011

If It's Summer Now, How Long 'til Labor Day?

What happened to April?

What happened to May?

Why is it suddenly shorts-and-sandals weather?

Why does it feel like it's practically the 4th of July when we're still weeks away from Memorial Day? Humidity in April?

I don't like it. I don't know what to wear. I hate being hot and sweaty. I hate being over- or under-dressed for the temperature or the occasion. I'm not wearing shorts in April, although I want to.

It's amusing to see how my fellow Bostonians deal with it — badly, for the most part, so I don't feel so alone. Yesterday, I saw everything from white short-shorts and halters to woolen coats and tall boots. I saw a lot of leggings and skinny jeans, and I'd made that mistake, too. Even with a light shirt on top, you swelter in those things. They belong under boots and coats. I also saw a woman with a shearling trooper's hat sheltering her like a hood. And there I was, sweating under my baseball cap, cowering in the shadow of a tree trunk. It seems unfair that it's this hot and sunny but there are no leaves yet, so not much shade.

It's time for me to unpack our warm-weather clothes, although I usually do it in mid June. I've already replaced my boots with flip flops, because there is nothing else that works for my troublesome feet. There is not an attractive sandal, ballet flat, clog, or other shoe in the world that lets me walk a few miles a day without socks and without blisters. (I only wear sneakers at the gym.)  I dare you to suggest one!

I will waste hours shoe-shopping, as I do every spring, but I can rule out 99.9% of so-called "comfort"brands without trying them on, because they have silly embossed designs or raised stitching on the insoles (Børn, Munroe, Clarks, Sofft, etc.), or little brand tags sewn right where my heel hits (Ecco, etc.), all of which tear up my soles when I walk. Or they are ugly (I mean you, Naot, Earth Shoes, and Uggs). I also need flexible soles and as few straps as possible to rub against the top of my feet. (Even those sleek rubber Havaniana flip flops bother me.)

So my ancient grosgrain Reef flip flops are already getting more mileage. My only consolation: if it's summer in April, can fall be just around the corner? Geez, we barely have any leaves and I'm already waiting for them to start falling!

1 comment:

  1. I love my Merrills mesh slides though they look like "Earth Shoes" when paired with shorts...but I haven't braved shorts yet...

    http://www.zappos.com/merrell-encore-breeze-beige-mesh?zlfid=111

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments and do my best to follow up if you have a question. I delete spam, attempts to market other websites, and anything nasty or unintelligible. The cats and I thank you for reading — and please do leave a comment that isn't spam, etc.