Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Comings and Goings and Musings

In September, Anthropologie is moving from Boylston Street to currently empty retail space in the old Prince School on Newbury Street, including the former Betsey Johnson shop. They will have much more space on multiple floors, and more window displays.

That's fine. But I love the current store. In fact, I love it so much, I want live in it after they move out.

Soaring ceilings, stone walls, exposed beams. Where else can you find a loft space like that in Back Bay? I can't use all those dressing rooms by myself, so if you want to join us and don't mind listening to Possum pontificate, let me know, and we'll pool our resources and make a bid for the place. There's lots of room.

In other news, the Italian restaurant on Newbury, Pazzo, which claimed to be "closed for renovations" for a very long time, is now a Japanese restaurant. Serious renovation there.

The Hubway Boston Bike Share Program has bikes at the corner of Newbury and Hereford. Bring your own helmet.

I haven't tried Max Brenner, Chocolate by the Bald Man, which has been open for a few months now, and strangely, I have no interest. Every time I go by, I peek at what the people sitting outside are having, and it's always some boring lunch/dinner food. Sandwiches. Never any of the outrageous chocolate creations that are their specialties. What gives?  And here's another question: can you remember what occupied that space before Max arrived? I can't remember for the life of me.

I guess, I'm not dying to go there because I know that whatever I choose will be too rich and I'll feel stuffed, ill, and guilty soon afterward. Much better to sit under the fairy lights and stars at Charley's on Newbury on a warm night, sharing a slice of their light-but-satisfying Boston Creme Pie. I haven't had a better one, but I'm always up for suggestions.

If you go into Benetton Men in Copley Place, you will find women's clothing. At least I think that's what it is, unless they've got radical ideas about men wearing pretty velvet blazers, feminine tops, and skirts. I never shop at Benettons of either gender, but a skirt near the door caught my eye. It was heavyweight twill in soft tan, with a long, full, A-line cut. Channeling my inner Out of Africa, I went in and checked it out. Oh, no. It was gauchos, the widest I'd ever seen. I backed away, and visions of Miss Jane Hathaway from The Beverly Hillbillies were suddenly dancing before my eyes. Yikes.

I went home.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the giggle - it was sorely needed. The idea that gauchos are making any sort of a comeback is truly frightening, but thinking of Miss Jane Hathaway is a hoot. Did she wear gauchos? - I can't remember. Although I clearly wasted some of my formative years, since I had no problem remembering what show she was from. And, we would like the Anthropologie space too, provided Possum is willing to speak a smattering of Siamese.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments and do my best to follow up if you have a question. I delete spam, attempts to market other websites, and anything nasty or unintelligible. The cats and I thank you for reading — and please do leave a comment that isn't spam, etc.