Monday, August 8, 2011

Sale Continues

My, what an "interesting" day for the stock market. It reminded me that another important shopping rule applies there, too:

When there's plenty of inventory, don't shop early. Wait for deeper discounts.

My plan is to invest the cash lying fallow in our retirement plans after things settle down a bit. In the meantime, it pays to watch the market carefully.

If you're more interested in investing in, say, shoes than the stock market, keep in mind that Anthropologie is offering free shipping (and returns) on shoe orders through August 15. Since President Obama would surely like us all to stimulate the economy while living within our means, I will obediently order these "Oxford" pumps in both yellow and raspberry brown, using my 15% birthday discount.


Chances are they'll be deadly uncomfortable and will have to go back, but hope springs eternal. That bodes well for for both the shoe business and the stock market.

I have to say that most of the heels and wedges at Anthropologie are either clownish or bizarre. Like these:


I would find these scary if I saw them heading toward me on Newbury Street. Maybe Lady Gaga is having too much influence on fashion. I like her, but I'm never going to put myself in her shoes. On the other hand, it's hard for designers to completely ruin flats, so you'll find charming styles at Anthropologie, including these, by French Sole, made from a laminated photo print of those millefiori beads from Murano:


Much better to be thinking about shoes than stocks this week. Hang in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments and do my best to follow up if you have a question. I delete spam, attempts to market other websites, and anything nasty or unintelligible. The cats and I thank you for reading — and please do leave a comment that isn't spam, etc.