Friday, September 2, 2011

Bruce and Bunny

I was very disappointed when I read on Universal Hub that I'd missed seeing Bruce Springsteen playing a borrowed guitar in the Public Garden yesterday. And I'd walked through there twice going to and from Beacon Hill. At least someone recorded this snippet.

I did see Bruce once, when he and his wife Patti crashed an excellent outdoor swing concert I was running at the museum years ago, Bombay Jim and the Swinging Sapphires. They danced together in a corner under the stars, and we all felt proud. That band was really good; everybody danced that night.

Anyway, to console myself, I went out and used up a lot of Anthropologie gift cards on this dress:


It's heavy cotton with a ruffled black petticoat and a pleated ribbon sash. It's also got lingerie straps, which are so important, although I don't think I've ever remembered to unsnap them before taking off a dress.

Even if I hadn't missed Bruce, I would have bought the dress. But it did make me feel better.

However, I'm still not feeling fabulous for another reason. We're going to Il Casale in Belmont for dinner tonight with my inlaws from out of state. It's an excellent restaurant and I really enjoy my inlaws. But two years ago, on Labor Day weekend, we went there for dinner with them. It was a nice evening but after we came home, our beloved calico cat Bunnelina became very ill (she had lymphoma and was on chemo) so we rushed her to Angell, where she was put to sleep. Possibly the worst night of my life.

I'm one of those people who remembers all kinds of anniversaries, good and bad, and I've been thinking a lot about Bunny in recent days. It's just a strange series of coincidences that our relatives happen to be in town on the same weekend, with just enough time for a nice Italian dinner. And Il Casale is the only restaurant where they feel they can leave their car, loaded with luggage and bikes, parked nearby where we can keep an eye on it.

So I will raise a glass of Italian soda to Bunny tonight, in gratitude for the time we had with her. I miss her, although the other cats are a great consolation...

2 comments:

  1. ...better to have loved and lost than to never have loved. I have never had a bunny but people always comment how Cornish Rex are as soft as bunnies as they just have down hair...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Teri, thanks for all your lovely comments! Bunny was a cat, with big ears, a pink nose, white rabbits' feet, and plush fur.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments and do my best to follow up if you have a question. I delete spam, attempts to market other websites, and anything nasty or unintelligible. The cats and I thank you for reading — and please do leave a comment that isn't spam, etc.