Wednesday, October 12, 2011

We Have a Winner

Snicky went to the groomer at 7:30 this morning. Since I don't wake up until 9, even if I'm dressed and out of the house long before that time, I don't remember much of the experience. But our groomer is a supremely wise, unflappable person, so I try to listen carefully to everything she says. We both have great respect for her. She was, after all, the only groomer in Greater Boston willing to help us deal with the cats' ringworm plague (and that 3-month adventure is nearing its two-year anniversary — must remember to order a ringworm-shaped cake).

The groomer worked another little miracle today. At 17-1/2, Snicky is pathetically bony, frail, and weak. She's also been covered in mats from a recent emergency bath, so she looked more like a space alien (or some new, exotic, tangle-haired breed) than a Persian. Those mats probably hurt. But we didn't dare try to comb her; she hates it. And even with no strength in her body her tiny jaws still scare us to death. Her power is concentrated there; we know this all too well from pilling her twice a day. I've had a lot of pill experience, but even with a good technique I usually have a finger wrapped with gauze and tape from another deep, two-sided puncture wound that no bandaid can cover.

After less than 30 minutes with the groomer, Snicky was a recognizable, even cute, cat again, and no worse for wear and tear.

The groomer asked us if we were feeding our senior cats a special renal diet since they have chronic renal failure (CRF). We said they didn't like any of the prescription foods. She said we should try again; she has an ancient cat with CRF, and prescription food brought her kidney levels close to normal. That sounded great, but I remember ours walking away from Science Diet dried and canned K/D as well as Purina and Royal Canin renal foods. Our vet says that the best food for a fussy CRF cat is just about any food she will eat. They can waste away otherwise.

But I obediently visited our vet today, and picked up some samples. I left them on the counter while I ran another errand. Then I came home to this:


Snalbert must have smelled the food, jumped up on the counter, and knocked it to the floor. One or both of them chewed holes in the bag, freeing the kibble, and then they spread it on the floor. They were having a good time together, which was nice to see since they generally can't stand each other. Wendy and Possum either politely avoided the kitchen as Snicky and Snalbert stuffed themselves or were shooed away by their elders.

Our vet said she finds that cats burn out on prescription food fairly quickly and want something else. But even if it's temporary, it looks like we have a winner.

8 comments:

  1. On my tombstone: Never say never.

    She looks beautiful, APB! Your groomer is a miracle worker. We all feel much better after a go with good grooming, so a celebratory snack for Snicky is icing on her "classy coat" cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can completely understand what your going through. I also have a CRF kitty who becomes very fussy with his diet. You may also want to look into Renavast. I have yet to buy it but heard some positive things about it. I think it's just a supplement thatit sprinkled on top of the cat food.

    Give Wendy my love! From Jenn =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems the way to always get cats to eat what you want is to put it in a sample bag on the counter. Naughtiness apparently tastes better. We are slowly grinding our way through an enormous bag of cat food that we of course all loved in the sample sizes, but then detested as soon as I shelled out an obscene amount of money for the giant bag. I'm glad Snicky and Snalbert have shown so much interest and enthusiasm - a good sign for sure. Hope it lasts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems Snicky refused eat ANYTHING today. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She may have filled herself to the brim and was "taking a day off" to digest...Fingers crossed for Snicky

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never experienced diet making that big of a difference, but yes, lower protein better than the high protein grain free diets for CRF cats for sure. But mostly, you want them to eat rather than walk away. You can also try 'nutraceuticals' that are supposed to help, Epakitin and Azodyl

    ReplyDelete
  7. I meant to include this link http://www.articlehq.net/vets-prescribe-azodyl-and-epakitin-for-crf/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Teri, for thinking about Snicky and Snalbert. I will ask my vet about these.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments and do my best to follow up if you have a question. I delete spam, attempts to market other websites, and anything nasty or unintelligible. The cats and I thank you for reading — and please do leave a comment that isn't spam, etc.