Sunday, December 18, 2011

Decorating the Tree

My thanks to all of you who sent me encouraging and supportive messages during the three-dumpster house-clearing project for my relative. Like a Powdermilk Biscuit, you gave me the strength to get up and do what needed to be done.

My husband and I have been out of the Christmas loop for several days, so it was nice to crank up the carols yesterday and decorate the tree.


I don't remember packing this large, furry ornament last year, but it is nearly the same color as the box, so I must not have noticed it.

It's very important to taste the tree. You don't want to waste a lot of time decorating a bad-tasting tree. Snicky and Snalbert help out with this. Here's Snicky, chowing down on a branch.


My favorite carol of the moment is "Good King Wenceslaus," as sung by The Roches. I've always found that no one sings more perfectly blended harmony than close family members. Here's Snalbert, joining me in the last verse:


Therefore everyone, be sure, wealth or rank possessing,
Ye who now shall bless the poor
Shall yourselves find blessing.
Possum has issues with my ornament placement. He doesn't like many of the unbreakable ornaments I place on the lowest branches, so he removes them and hides them around the living room, hoping I won't notice. He is particularly opposed to a certain small, plush teddy bear, which he feels is unsuitably cutesy and toylike for a sophisticated Back Bay tree. It appears that Possum has appointed himself as the Mies van der Rohe of our Christmas tree, but I don't care if my taste is not as evolved as his. This is his typical skeptical, crossy-pawed attitude when he's doubtful of my handiwork:


If he made himself useful as we put up the tree and take it down, I might pay more attention to his aesthetic judgments. But sitting on my ornament boxes does not count as help; they don't usually wander off.

Wendy, too, has taken a violent dislike to several seemingly innocuous ornaments, including a certain little Russian tsarina doll and an orange faceted plastic ball. When she's irritated, she smacks them off the tree and stalks away. Here she is, enjoying a victory nap in front of the tree after redecorating it:


So it's finally looking a lot like Christmas. Tomorrow, I am planning a marathon wrapping session if my sore hand doesn't complain. It's doing much better; it didn't object to handling all those ornaments but it didn't enjoy the light strings.

3 comments:

  1. Lovely,..you have survived the ordeal and feel seasonal enough to share those lovely pictures and link to the Roche for us...thank you and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's wonderful to see Snicky reigning over her forest! And Snalbert is the best general ever - he is always en place and ready for action.

    Possum and Wendy's takes on the tree decorations just prove how erudite and enlightened they are. It's obvious that they chose "their" people quite carefully.

    I'm vicariously enjoying your tree. No such animal here - just baskets and pots of pinecones. They are freed of their confines nightly by invisible wee beasties. Then they are strategically placed to be underfoot when I stagger blindly toward the coffee carafe.

    I provide the morning entertainment as I leap around uttering artful obscenities and making amusing faces, or so it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful tree, books, reading chair, lamp and cat - what more could you need. Seems that you've earned a day to spend in that photo, enjoying all of the above. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments and do my best to follow up if you have a question. I delete spam, attempts to market other websites, and anything nasty or unintelligible. The cats and I thank you for reading — and please do leave a comment that isn't spam, etc.