Thursday, December 22, 2011

A Ratty Christmas Miracle

We were at the Brookline Star Market tonight, buying ingredients to make Martha Stewart's Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies. I needed fresh ginger and, lo and behold, I found this:


Other people find Jesus on a piece of toast or the Virgin Mary in the streaks on a hospital window. I got a rat. Look — it even has a little eye and ear, and there's definitely a ratty nose and mouth. After that, its body becomes more vague. But it's rodentical without a doubt. (Rodentish? Rodential?)

I'm not sure of the symbolism, beyond this: it is Chinese, as opposed to Christian, ginger. In China, the rat is one of the twelve animals in the zodiac or astrological cycle. The last Year of the Rat was 2008. Rat people, born during Rat years, are considered to have many fine qualities.

I don't know much about ginger, either, but I knew this piece wasn't fresh. I abandoned it and chose a better one. I also didn't want any rat in my cookies. At least not so much rat....

Woman: Well there's rat cake ... rat sorbet... rat pudding... or strawberry tart.
Man: Strawberry tart?!
Woman: Well it's got some rat in it.
Man: How much?
Woman: Three, rather a lot really.
Man: ... well, I'll have a slice without so much rat in it.

I would rather have found Rufus Sewall in an oatmeal cookie, but a rat is what I got. Merry Christmas.

On other local news, the teddybear is back on the tree. I don't know how the cats pulled it off. They must have realized that Santa Claws doesn't reward kidnappers. The bear isn't talking.

2 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas from Maine where we have...wait, I remember this fluffy white stuff! Ah yes, SNOW!
    We are off to Lisbon, Maine to enjoy Nana's tourtiere pie, a tradition from their Catholic, French-Canadian background.

    Enjoy those chocolate gingerbread cookies sans the cute but questionable ginger.
    MaineMom90

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looked at that Ginger a long time trying to see Jesus in it, thinking how hopeless I am at that kind of thing and then I read on and I saw the rat right away. I live in a rat free province but the good stores are all far away. I guess you can't have everything.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments and do my best to follow up if you have a question. I delete spam, attempts to market other websites, and anything nasty or unintelligible. The cats and I thank you for reading — and please do leave a comment that isn't spam, etc.