Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Snictoria

Our thoughts are all for Snicky today, as we wait to take her for her last vet appointment. She's having great trouble walking, and stopped eating and drinking.  "It's time" — that message began coming loud and clear, beginning yesterday morning as she crouched in her heated cat bed with her head down. We tried fluids and a little syringe-feeding, but it made no difference. So, as soon as our vet arrives at the hospital this afternoon, we'll be bringing her in.

Man, these are the hardest times for cats and their people. I know they are so difficult for some people that they never recover from their loss, and they forego ever having another cat because they can't face the end again. I'm not there yet; I will keep taking the leap and accepting the bad with the good — especially when the good works out to equal 18 years of companionship, fascination, and fun. I wouldn't have missed out on Snicky for the world.

Last night, Possum and Wendy settled in together a respectful distance from her bed, as if they were keeping watch. Snalbert checks in with her occasionally, but it's clear she prefers to be left alone.

Snicky was the first, and very best birthday present my husband ever gave me. We have been so lucky to have this beautiful, tempestuous, affectionate, unfathomable, tiny, graceful beast with us for 18 years.  She used to fly through air and climb to the tops of our bookshelves when she was young and crazy. Lately, she was content to curl up near my husband for hours, keeping warm. She became Top Cat of the household after our eldest, Chloe, died several years ago, and only retired from her position when she grew frail and Snalbert took over after waging a biting campaign on everyone (including us) after the kittens arrived. But aside from that — and her much-hated pills — everything in Snicky's life has been on Snicky's terms. This afternoon, we're going to give in one more time, and do her bidding.

We'll miss her at our feet tonight. And for a long time to come.

11 comments:

  1. My blogging friend...you will be in my thoughts today, as I too, share in your sadness...

    And God asked the feline spirit
    Are you ready to come home?
    Oh, yes, quite so,
    replied the precious soul.
    And, as a cat, I am most able
    To decide anything for myself.

    Are you coming then? asked God.
    Soon, replied the whiskered angel,
    But I must come slowly.
    For my human friends are troubled.
    For you see, they need me, quite certainly.

    But don't they understand? asked God, that you'll never leave them?

    That you souls are intertwined for all eternity?

    That nothing is created or destroyed?

    It just is...forever and ever and ever.

    Eventually they will understand,
    Replied the glorious cat.
    For I will whisper into their hearts that I am always with them.

    I just am...forever and ever and ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so very sorry to read this entry. Thinking of you today as you face this most difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So very sorry about Snicky. I feel her loss in a small way as I have gotten to know her through your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to belatedly thank you for the picture of Snictoria on her 18th birthday. That image transcends Snicky's four year struggle. I see in her alert left eye the beauty that life is meant to offer, especially when we have help, and give help along the way. That picture from early April helped me remember, and I paraphrase for you today from Psalm 33- that God's goodness fills the earth.

    MaineMom90

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this literal and figurative picture of Snictoria that shows her dignity and force of spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's never enough time with them, yet there's all of the time in the world to remember and hold them close in our hearts.

    You're in my thoughts and my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are with you in spirit. As you well know, we understand you pain and we'll drink a toast to Snictoria tonight as we toast our own lose

    Penny & Ed

    ReplyDelete
  8. A beautiful cat, who had an exceptional life and exceptional owners. My thoughts, and tears, are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. sending lots of love to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I teared up at this post.

    I am so very sorry to hear the time has come. Take comfort in the many years you got to spend together and know that you are doing the right (albeit hard) thing.

    My thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Even though Snictoria is no longer curled up nearby, it's obvious that she still has a place in your hearts. She's a beautiful cat - and reminds me of the cat who accompanied me through my first years of marriage.

    ReplyDelete

Unless you are spamming me about, say, Skype, I love getting comments and do my best to follow up if you have a question. I delete ALL spam, attempts to market other websites, and anything nasty or unintelligible. The cats and I thank you for reading — and please do leave a comment that isn't spam, etc.