Thursday, May 31, 2012

Dressing Up: Follow-Up

On Tuesday, I wrote about dressing up (Boston-style) for a "business gala" dinner and awards ceremony. Moments after I posted it, my husband called to say, "Off the hook!" We were going at the behest of a colleague of his from out of town, who'd planned to sit with us at dinner to talk business with him and chat with us both. But she'd just heard she had to sit at the head table, so she told him we could skip the event if we liked. My husband decided to stop by to meet with her during the cocktail reception; my appearance was optional.

How I love reprieves and cancellations for social events. They are more thrilling to me than snow days were in grade school. I should become a recluse.

I decided to walk downtown with my husband so we could have dinner after his meeting. Since he was still in his suit, I put on my black dress, which can be dressed up or down. It looks fine with the flip flops I wear for walks. (I put metallic flats in my bag for saying hello to our friend.) We got to the hotel, hot and windblown, before most guests had arrived. I changed my shoes and we found our friend. Instead of heading to the lobby for a private talk, she pulled us into the reception (as we did the polite version of kicking and screaming). She marched us straight to the French ambassador who was standing with her boss, the American head of a major French company. They were impeccably dressed, crisp and fresh — especially compared to us. After we made small talk, we had to pose with them for photos. At least I wasn't in flip flops; here's hoping that smiles and enthusiasm compensate for messy hair and glowing faces. I'm guessing we looked okay — by Boston standards, anyhow. We got out of there as quickly as we could.

I didn't see many guests, and I was too early to catch the hoped-for prom dress. But I predicted correctly that just about everyone was clearly in the same clothes they'd put on that morning. I saw one pair of towering, strappy shoes in a sea of sensible pumps, but that was about it.

While my husband and his friend sat talking, I took off for Crumbs Bake Shop. It had been too long:


The one in the front with the swirly topping is Monkey Business, their June Flavor of the Month: banana cake with banana cream cheese filling, caramel cream cheese frosting, caramel drizzled on top, plus toffee bits. It was so big and heavy that we split it and it was plenty for two. It was the best cupcake I've ever had: moist, rich, and creamy. Banana and caramel are a wonderful combination, and the mildly salty toffee was an ideal complement.

We ate at Così, one of my favorite spots for a quick meal. I'll always take a good sandwich or burrito over a formal meal. I'm a very cheap date. I wish we had a Così in Back Bay; the cashier told me the company is looking at spaces there, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I've walked as far as Kendall Square for their Signature Salad but I'd rather not. I asked our server to make me her favorite item on the menu. (When I can't make up my mind in a restaurant, I order whatever the waitstaff recommends and have never been disappointed.) I had a pesto chicken melt with sun-dried tomatoes and mozzarella. It was gooey, as delicious as you might imagine, and just the right size. My husband raved about his ham and Brie sandwich, too. Then we walked home to cupcakes for dessert, Possum and Snalbert on the sofa with us, and a good book for me. Just my kind of evening, sans French ambassadors and CEOs.

1 comment:

  1. Just...Like! Wonderful post, ending on the couch with the cats...

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments and do my best to follow up if you have a question. I delete spam, attempts to market other websites, and anything nasty or unintelligible. The cats and I thank you for reading — and please do leave a comment that isn't spam, etc.