Sunday, June 3, 2012

A Sunday Afternoon at Mount Auburn

We took a walk in Mount Auburn Cemetery last Sunday, when the weather was perfect. We'd missed the flowering trees but there were still rhododendrons and azaleas, and every vista was lush and green. We weren't expecting a lot of wildlife, but we came upon a turkey hen and her chicks, turtles of substantial size, noisy bullfrogs, chipmunks, and rabbits along with the usual squirrels and birds. 

Some photos, click any one to enlarge:

Turkey and three turklets chicks.

I certainly hope so. 
I'm not convinced eternity is all it's cracked up to be.

Weeping beech hugging a mausoleum.

Victory over Death, I presume, stuck
babysitting a bored or skeptical, wreath-toting cherub.

This fellow lies at the foot of the grave of 
6-year-old Mary P. Saunders.

Redwood at the shore of one of the ponds.

A beautiful place to sit and listen to bullfrogs. 

Such as this guy. 

Flowers flourish.

Ferns.

"C" is for chipmunk.

Rhododendrons near the Gothic chapel.

One of my more useless talents is spotting four-leaf clovers
 as I walk past them. I found four in this patch. How about you?
(Lawnmowers make this more challenging.)

2 comments:

  1. Fabulous photos! Thanks for the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PB: Those are great pics - "C" is for chipmunk made me laugh. Speaking of Cambridge, here's a link to an interesting house - all except the mind-numbing price, that is:
    http://www.boston.com/realestate/buying/2012/06/01/home-the-week-cambridge/UKPMs7y6ZhWQVzhfQoUpEL/story.html?pg=2&t=150&cp=2

    ReplyDelete

Unless you are spamming me about, say, Skype, I love getting comments and do my best to follow up if you have a question. I delete ALL spam, attempts to market other websites, and anything nasty or unintelligible. The cats and I thank you for reading — and please do leave a comment that isn't spam, etc.