Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Postcard from Pennsylvania: Houses


I grew up in Bethlehem, a small city filled with elegant houses spanning the 19th century and featuring every major architectural style, along with a few that local builders appear to have invented. In the heart of the city, there are also stellar 18th-century stone buildings in the Moravian style: 


Although we lived in a 1950s split-level outside of the historic area, my childhood goal was to live in a wonderful old house downtown someday. 


The more I see these old neighborhoods nowadays, the more gorgeous they seem. Most exteriors are unmarred by renovations, the gardens are lush, the trees are old. No wonder I'm not having any luck house-hunting: All of my favorite houses are in Pennsylvania and I've been ruined for anything else. And worse, they often sell for ridiculously affordable prices compared to the scene in Boston.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments and do my best to follow up if you have a question. I delete spam, attempts to market other websites, and anything nasty or unintelligible. The cats and I thank you for reading — and please do leave a comment that isn't spam, etc.