Friday, August 17, 2012

Vegemite

We brought our Australian innkeepers a jar of Vegemite because it's hard to get in Maine. It's hard to get almost anywhere beyond Australia. But we know they pine for the stuff, so we'd been looking for it everywhere. We finally found one jar in a gourmet shop on the Cape a few weeks ago.

They offered me a taste, in a toasted cheese sandwich. I sniffed the open jar and thought it smelled and looked vaguely like chocolate fudge. Since it's good to try new things when one is on vacation, I took a bite.
I have no words to describe the taste of Vegemite. I have only questions.

Why?

Why?

Why?

I am hoping I won't see an actual jar again anytime soon.

2 comments:

  1. G'day, I think it is an acquired taste. I was brought up on Vegemite and cheese sandwiches, Vegemite on toast, etc. I still enjoy it, however, I am a little more cautious now, being on the wrong side of 70.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may have used too much. Less is more!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments and do my best to follow up if you have a question. I delete spam, attempts to market other websites, and anything nasty or unintelligible. The cats and I thank you for reading — and please do leave a comment that isn't spam, etc.