Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Candy Sleds

I like to make things, but I don't have enough space to do much in our little apartment. There's no room for a work table; no storage area for materials. I guess that's why I love wreath-decorating with the Garden Club so much: I get my own space, plus an easel, to have fun (and make a mess) for four solid days.

When I saw a photograph of candy sleds on Pinterest, I knew I could handle making ten of them at our dining room table. I thought they'd be cute favors for Christmas dinner in Pennsylvania. I studied the photo and bought four bags of Hershey's miniature bars.

It was hard to find good-sized candy canes in Christmas colors. Who has been buying up all the decent candy canes? I never buy candy canes.  I had to go to Walgreens and three CVS stores before I found the last two boxes. That's also where I bought ten Kit Kat bars. The cashier said, "You seem to like Kit Kat bars." I said, "They're for a craft project. I'm using them to make candy sleds." He was scanning one of my boxes of Hershey's chocolate-filled candy canes, which conveniently had instructions for candy sleds printed on the back. "Oh, like this," he said, reading. "Cool."  It took me a while to get out of there.

It was fun to dump all the candy on the table and divide it into ten little stacks of ten pieces. I was not tempted to sample any of it. It was craft material.


The next step was to attach ten little Hershey's bars to the top of each Kit Kat. Some people use a hot glue gun for this; in my hands, it could melt the chocolate and would certainly drip all over everything. I used double-stick tape instead, which worked well. Of course, the kittens were interested in the project, so I spent a lot of time removing them gently and repeatedly from the table.


The next step was attaching ribbons. I happened to have rolls of narrow red and green satin ribbon that are too skinny for wrapping most presents. To attach the ribbons, I switched to regular tape.


Then I dealt with the candy canes. Removing them from their fortress-like packaging was the hardest step of all. I think the box was designed so you end up breaking most of the candy canes and need to run back to the store to buy more.

So THAT'S where all the good-looking candy canes went....

I had to take each box apart and carefully snip the two tiny pieces of cardboard between each candy cane to remove them safely. Candy-cane surgery. There were four broken ones already, but I still had just enough for ten sleds. I matched them in pairs according to their length and the shape of their crooks. Then I used a ton of both kinds of tape to attach and stabilize them.


At this point, I decided that the sleds looked pretty silly. But I was nearly finished, so it was too late to do anything but keep going. They only needed their bright little metallic bows stuck on top.

So here they are — and they were a big hit with my family.



For my next project, I will consult a book I just got, Crafting with Cat Hair. It shows you how to turn your cat's excess fur into felt to make little cat-shaped finger puppets. How could I resist?

2 comments:

  1. Cute...Cat fur and chocolate candy usually don't got together, so good thing that's your next project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool, there really is a book called Crafting With Cat Hair. I thought you were kidding!! Who knew such things existed!! Cute sleds by the way!!

    ReplyDelete

Unless you are spamming me about, say, Skype, I love getting comments and do my best to follow up if you have a question. I delete ALL spam, attempts to market other websites, and anything nasty or unintelligible. The cats and I thank you for reading — and please do leave a comment that isn't spam, etc.