Monday, March 11, 2013

Trader Joe's: The Good, the Wicked

A good brownie makes a glass of cold milk taste like heaven. Trader Joe's Truffle Brownie Mix is an excellent product for getting yourself to nirvana; the instructions call for a stick of melted butter, so what can go wrong? I enjoy baking from scratch but, when it comes to brownies, I usually want need them fast, so I use mixes.

I decided to take a short break from chocolate. It's Lent, after all.  So I bought a box of TJ's Blondie Bar Mix, a cross between brownies and chocolate chip cookies. (Yeah, there's chocolate in them... go ahead and excommunicate me, and see if I care.)

I'm pleased to report that Blondie Bars are another worthwhile way to use up a stick of butter. While they are flatter and more crumbly than brownies, they are equally rich. I found myself adding more chocolate chips for no understandable reason, and I'll probably do it again.

While Trader Joe's makes good mixes (I recommend their cornbread, too), I wish they'd do some work on their bathroom tissue. They could start by sending it to reform school. I bought my first two six-packs in the past month or two, after years of buying different brands at Shaw's. I've never seen anything like them. They are self-destructive, sneaky, and peripatetic — not qualities I'm seeking in bathroom tissue.

I have proof: while I was in the living room this morning, the spare roll we keep on the windowsill stormed its way into a corner of the bedroom. Here's where I found it, looking much the worse for wear and tear, either because it's terribly neurotic or because some brave, responsible cat tried a little too hard to awaken it to its sense of duty:


I guess it really, really wanted to see itself in the mirror but first it had to scatter bits of itself all over the bedroom floor.

I worry about the cats' safety with these creepy, self-centered renegades on the loose. I should switch brands.

1 comment:

  1. I think Duchess Poppy may have visited Possum while you were at Trader Joes. We are about to have an intervention to get her into TP Anonymous.

    Sorry about that....

    ReplyDelete

Unless you are spamming me about, say, Skype, I love getting comments and do my best to follow up if you have a question. I delete ALL spam, attempts to market other websites, and anything nasty or unintelligible. The cats and I thank you for reading — and please do leave a comment that isn't spam, etc.