Thursday, June 20, 2013

Postcards from Maine: Deer Friends

Here's one more in a late-arriving flurry of "postcards" from Maine. I'm not sure why I've been so tied up, although Possum and I just agreed to a writing assignment that will keep us busy through July and so we've been thinking about that. It's writing scripts for an upcoming show of John Singer Sargent's watercolors, so it's right up our alley. Possum wanted me to email Mr. Sargent so he could ask him questions and invite him for a visit. He imagined that the artist would be so inspired by his physical beauty and expressive face that he'd insist on a series of paintings, à la his lovely model Rosa, of Capri.

I had to remind Possum that Mr. Sargent is no longer with us. Cats are terrible at remembering historical timelines and who's still around and who isn't. They aren't ignorant; it's just that they don't live as long as we do, so the past is not important. They don't care about what went on when, but only about what's happening now, or soon — and whether food or fun will be part of it. 

I don't get tired of reminding Possum about certain key facts because his insights about art itself are so good.

In my previous post, I forgot to mention a third cat we spotted. We were looking out the dining room window at the inn after breakfast and saw a fawn, or small doe, in the company of an orange tabby. We think they were playing, but couldn't tell if the cat was chasing the deer or just accompanying it across the road. We only saw them for a few seconds, and at a distance, but it was a strange and memorable glimpse.

We always love to see deer, and were glad we were driving pretty slowly (hoping for deer) when this one appeared in Acadia National Park: 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments and do my best to follow up if you have a question. I delete spam, attempts to market other websites, and anything nasty or unintelligible. The cats and I thank you for reading — and please do leave a comment that isn't spam, etc.