Thursday, September 19, 2013

Hippie Chic at the MFA, Part 1

Here are some photos of some of my favorite fashions in the "Hippie Chic" exhibition at the MFA. I revisited it today as I promised a couple of weeks ago. The security guard who was on duty is an old friend; he was blasting hits from the era on the free jukebox in the show. He told me that working in the exhibition is the most fun the guards can have these days.

Yellow tie-dyed Indian silk dress with embroidery by Thea Porter, around 1969.
Dress made of magenta Indian sari fabric by Arnold Scaasi, worn by Barbra Streisand.
(Click to enlarge; works for all blog photos.)

Beautiful embroidery covers the undyed fabric. I love the bishop sleeves. 

Silk empire-waist dress by Geoffrey Beene, 1970. I'd love to wear this.
With a pair of tall, lace-up granny boots without zippers.

 Coat by Thea Porter, made from a traditional nomadic Iraqi embroidered textile, trimmed with fur and a metal belt, 1969.

Dudes. I love the missing shirt under that fringed suede jacket. The ribbons on the green tunic look like a craft project invented by a strung-out Martha Stewart.

Groovin' fashions from 1972. On the right, a Missoni jumper, synthetic.
On the left, a quilted number in silk and organza by Geoffrey Beene.

On the left, a silk-velvet pantsuit by Halston.
On the right, a silk and velvet crazy-quilt dress by Yves St. Laurent, 1969–70.

And because I like making them, here's another psychedelic album cover featuring our pouting resident rock star, Harris. I hope you'll try making some yourself.

1 comment:

Unless you are spamming me about, say, Skype, I love getting comments and do my best to follow up if you have a question. I delete ALL spam, attempts to market other websites, and anything nasty or unintelligible. The cats and I thank you for reading — and please do leave a comment that isn't spam, etc.