Saturday, October 19, 2013

Pumpkin on the Loose

I bought lots of miniature pumpkins this month. There's a new variety that looks cuter and more convincing than those squat orange gourds that have been around for the last few years. I filled a bowl with them:


 I had one left over, so I put it on the mantel next to a tiny Halloween collage:


The pumpkins in the bowl know how to behave themselves, but the mantel pumpkin decided to roam the living room last night. It rolled, or leapt, from the mantel and landed behind the fireplace screen below. Then it gently maneuvered the screen to make an opening large enough for it to escape through.

Note the opening, just big enough for a pumpkin:


The pumpkin perp didn't get back to the farmer's market, or wherever it was going, however. I found it sitting sheepishly on the other side of the living room, in front of the bookcase. It was trying desperately to blend in with its surroundings. And failing. 


I returned it to the mantel. I'd like to know why it went on the lam but it's not talking. These pumpkins aren't cheap; they should know their place and stay there. There's probably a law against vagrant and wandering produce. If not, there ought to be. I contacted our local authorities but, as usual, they looked dim-witted, answered vaguely, and could not shed light on the situation:

1 comment:

  1. I think you need to have the mantle investigated to see if it is possessed. I think I remember some other things falling or jumping off of it before. (the candle sticks?) I think your pumpkin was forced to leap then tried to run for it's own safety. Good thing the cats were there!!! Maybe they helped the little pumpkin escape.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments and do my best to follow up if you have a question. I delete spam, attempts to market other websites, and anything nasty or unintelligible. The cats and I thank you for reading — and please do leave a comment that isn't spam, etc.