Wednesday, October 2, 2013

That Time of Year...

Jordan Pond in Acadia National Park in October 2008. The park and the Jordan Pond House Restaurant are currently closed due the government shutdown. We'll be going to the island next weekend no matter what. (Those stupid politicians...) 

I love fall. I love the cooler weather, the pumpkins everywhere, the reappearance of sweaters and boots, and the back-to-school energy in my apartment (since my husband is a professor) as well as my neighborhood (although I don't always love the students themselves). I love new beginnings, flannel sheets, turning leaves, and apple cider.

Fall is also a time of anniversaries around here: our wedding, the arrivals of all four of our cats — and also of my beginning this blog. I've been posting here for more than five years, since September 18, 2008. I'd like to thank my friend and fellow blogger Some Assembly Required for the years he spent persuading me to start it. (I hope he is satisfied with the monster he created.) I'd also like to thank my readers for your interest, kindness, and comments.

Please continue to bear with me: I might yet surprise you by having something interesting to say!

But in lieu of that, I'll offer you one of my favorite sonnets of Shakespeare, #73:
That time of year thou mayst in me behold
When yellow leaves, or none, or few, do hang
Upon those boughs which shake against the cold,
Bare ruined choirs, where late the sweet birds sang.
In me thou see'st the twilight of such day
As after sunset fadeth in the west;
Which by and by black night doth take away,
Death's second self, that seals up all in rest.
In me thou see'st the glowing of such fire,
That on the ashes of his youth doth lie,
As the deathbed whereon it must expire,
Consumed with that which it was nourished by.
This thou perceiv'st, which makes thy love more strong,
To love that well which thou must leave ere long. 
You might like to compare that little ditty with some of my early oeuvre, from the fall of 2008. It was a busy season: I began blogging just after we returned from a trip to Venice and Milan, as we were struggling to survive the worst months of a cataclysmic, year-long gut renovation downstairs (I deleted many posts about that, and I'm glad I didn't preserve all the horrible details). We went to Paris and to Maine, our president was elected, my husband had a wardrobe malfunction minutes before his Harvard interview, my niece got married, and we returned our Christmas tree. I seem to have eaten and savored more unwholesome food — crèpes, cupcakes, potatoes dauphinoise — then than I do now, but I can fix that. Life may seem a bit dull these days in comparison but I am not complaining. I love this time of year.

4 comments:

  1. I just missed the shutdown by 12 hours! It was a good thing the Acadia Night Sky Festival was last weekend and not the one upcoming or there would have been a lot of disappointed stargazers. But at least even with the park closed, Bar Harbor will be hopping.
    On the off chance (since you go to MDI more often than I do), do you know why Our New England Country Store on Main St. closed (it was to the right of the savings and loan)? I think it's now a native arts/crafts store. The shop was there a year ago and has been my preferred coffee shop for several years, so I was very disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amanda, I wasn't a regular at the NE Country Store, so I can't give you any info. But I understand how you feel... we still miss Butterfield & Co., the general store on Main Street that had been in business for around a century and is now yet another tacky souvenir shop. And don't get me started on how much we miss the Port in a Storm bookshop in Somesville!

      Delete
  2. Love your site. Your cats are beautiful & enjoy 'other-than-cats' stuff too. I'm out near Sequoia & Kings Canyon NPs. Closed also, of course. Half the town is park employees. Feels like everyone, but me, has the day off. Don't be sad, last time the parks closed in 1995, employees were furloughed but eventually got paid for those days. CA fall color just can not compare to Maine or Mass but if you're out in CA in the summer, stop into Sequoia. Less crowds, bigger trees and higher mountains than Yosemite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sequoia was amazing. I went there last year for my birthday during a blizzard. The sight of the giant sequoias covered in snow, in that beautiful dead silence that only comes after a big snowstorm, was breathtaking. But there is nothing like Acadia in the autumn fall, with that intoxicating smell of balsam fir and ocean air!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments and do my best to follow up if you have a question. I delete spam, attempts to market other websites, and anything nasty or unintelligible. The cats and I thank you for reading — and please do leave a comment that isn't spam, etc.