Thursday, November 28, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving

We are celebrating Thanksgiving in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, where I grew up and where most of my family lives.

We drove here yesterday, and it took the whole day between the rainy weather, the traffic, a quick stop at Rein's  Traditional Jewish Deli in Connecticut, and a great drop-in visit to our friends Robin and Sam of Kitten Associates. We saw all 22 of their cats, including 12 adorable kittens available for adoption. Her six little orange tiger "Clementine" kittens were a riot, and will also be available for adoption soon. They are such lookalikes that I asked her if they'd been cloned in Photoshop. You can read about them here. I held Biscotti, a tuxedo kitten who was rescued after someone threw him into a hot metal dumpster last summer. His face and paws were burned, but not anymore. He's a quiet kitten, but he's the one I'd choose. You can see him here.

"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to take you in." — Robert Frost

Home is also the place where, when you go there, you discover all sorts of odd tastes, beliefs, and customs that bind you to those people exclusively. In my family, for instance, we are not pie people. Everyone else in America has spent the last few days discussing pies, ordering pies, picking up pies, baking pies, and getting ice cream for the side. Today they will be eating pie, all across this country. In my family, we are cake people. We will be having these for dessert today, from Crumbs Bakery:


I got enough so there should be a few extras, but because this is my family, there won't be.

Happy Thanksgiving! Enjoy your pie.

1 comment:

  1. Mmmmm.....My daughter Jennifer and I debated which one(s) would be the first to go. She picked the carrot topped one and I picked 3rd over, middle row. Again, Mmmm.....
    Hope you had a good thanksgiving. Hug Toffee for us on his Gotcha day.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments and do my best to follow up if you have a question. I delete spam, attempts to market other websites, and anything nasty or unintelligible. The cats and I thank you for reading — and please do leave a comment that isn't spam, etc.