Monday, October 20, 2014

Postcards from Maine: Autumn Color

Maine's foliage in mid October was not as "loud" as I expected but it was beautiful enough to provoke continuous oohs and aahs as we toured around Mount Desert Island. It was hard to know when, or if, the peak had happened; friends who'd been there for ten days before us, including an arborist, weren't positive, either. They were still hopeful that the peak would announce itself within a couple of days, before they had to go home. While some trees had already lost their leaves, many others were still green. Evergreens further confuse the issue, of course; there are plenty of areas with mostly green trees all year round. It seemed to use that the color show was more subtle this year, but longer lasting.

 Asticou Azalea Garden, Northeast Harbor

 You can see a mostly bare tree, at right, beside a green tree that's next to an orange tree.

I took lots of photos of shrubs, weeds, and berries on this trip, as you'll see.
A colorful, tangled mess of berries, vines, and leaves appeals to me, 
perhaps because I don't see such things very often in Boston.

Acadia landscape, still mostly green, with touches of color and lots of bare trees.

The landscape was more colorful and coordinated around the Rockefeller Boathouse. 
Even nature makes more of an effort for that distinguished family.

Flower boxes by the footbridge in Somesville, one of the most-photographed spots on the island.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful fall shots. I keep posting some of mine on facebook. Yours are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Unless you are spamming me about, say, Skype, I love getting comments and do my best to follow up if you have a question. I delete ALL spam, attempts to market other websites, and anything nasty or unintelligible. The cats and I thank you for reading — and please do leave a comment that isn't spam, etc.