Saturday, November 22, 2014

Last Days of the Farmer's Market

Yesterday was the last Friday farmer's market at Copley, and the last one for the year will be on Tuesday. Everyone is bundled up now, but feeling cold anyway. It gets dark early, so they set up lights so shoppers can see what's for sale. It's mostly about apples, root vegetables, and squash by late November, but no one is slacking.


Someone created an artistic arrangement of cranberries and Brussels sprouts:


I plan to get a lot on Tuesday: leeks, fancy potatoes, sprouts, and maybe some yellow carrots for roasting. There are greenhouse tomatoes but they don't attract me. (Someone had a few pints of yellow cherry tomatoes but they looked woebegone.) Iggy's focaccia freezes well, as do their raisin-walnut loaves, if there's room in our breadbox-sized freezer.


It's also time to try some of the baked goods I have virtuously avoided since the spring. I will skip the whoopie pies (in exotic flavors) in favor of pumpkin cake squares with cream-cheese frosting.


And maybe a fudge brownie or two. This will have to last us until May, which seems very far away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unless you are spamming me about, say, Skype, I love getting comments and do my best to follow up if you have a question. I delete ALL spam, attempts to market other websites, and anything nasty or unintelligible. The cats and I thank you for reading — and please do leave a comment that isn't spam, etc.