Friday, May 1, 2015

May Day

I know I'm supposed to be enthusiastic about spring's sunshine, warmth, and flowers, and I'm trying. But I dread the arrival of truly hot weather and, in recent years, it seems to arrive before the tulips have finished blooming. So I'm wary of spring, and especially spring hot spells. I was happy that I needed a warm coat and a scarf today.

I love the magnolias and so on, but it's supposed to hit 80 next week and that's just wrong. If that weather pattern continues, we'll need to install our horrible, noisy window air conditioners before Memorial Day. We try to hold off until late June but we can't have the cats sweltering even if we'd rather melt than listen to the roar of the air conditioners.

But I'm getting far ahead of myself. Today was a nice, cool May Day, and the Bradford pear trees are blooming on many South End streets, so the neighborhood looks ready for a wedding. That means it's time to dust off my favorite lines about spring, by Algernon Charles Swinburne, and post it here once again for your delectation:

For winter's rains and ruins are over,
And all the season of snows and sins;
The days dividing lover and lover,
The light that loses, the night that wins;
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten,
And in green underwood and cover
Blossom by blossom the Spring begins.

                                          (Chorus from "Atalanta")


Happy May!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unless you are spamming me about, say, Skype, I love getting comments and do my best to follow up if you have a question. I delete ALL spam, attempts to market other websites, and anything nasty or unintelligible. The cats and I thank you for reading — and please do leave a comment that isn't spam, etc.