Sunday, May 17, 2015

Postcards from Brimfield

Brace yourself, I sent a lot of them this time. Click in any photo to enlarge it. I'm posting them a little smaller than usual so they load faster.

Everyone at the Brimfield Antique and Collectibles Show seemed to be having a good time. The weather was perfect: slightly cool, slightly overcast, and totally dry. I've been there in rain and mud, and I've roasted and frozen, too. This was good. And the dealers were all saying that business was very good, too.


I think these are all liquor decanters. While it appears that lots of people came to their senses and decided to get rid of these, this could also be one person's prized collection. And now it's some dealer's prized collection. God help him or her.


I've always wanted one of these. But I can't remember why:


Brimfield is more than an antiques show. It's a celebration of dealer display creativity. In other words, it's a Festival of the Bizarre, Insane, and Surreal. Especially when someone's lucky enough to have a colorful set of mannequins.


The painting below is a Festival of the Bizarre and Insane all by itself. That's St. Thérèse, the Little Flower of Jesus, getting ecstatic over a crucifix. Cherubs are racing down from heaven to crown her with roses... but wait — some other winged babe is sneaking up behind her to drop a crown of thorns on her very distracted head. But don't worry, I happen to know that a nun's wimple (the wrappings under the veil) is usually tough enough to withstand attacks from garden trimmings, including that nasty surprise from Pinky.


Do you think this is a real stuffed alligator? Do you think anyone will ever want it, or that ragdoll?


I always enjoy the Creepy Santa genre at Brimfield. This one apparently likes to bother penguins:


I grew up in a family of hunters. My grandmother's dining room wall feature 22 racks of antlers along with several heads of various species. So I felt nostalgic over this display, although I'm not sure why someone went to all that trouble to create a barnyard setting for them — unless this is supposed to be a petting zoo.


In a similar vein, this is an orchestra of stuffed bullfrogs. You may not want to enlarge this one, so I will make it just big enough so you get the picture:


Rust is a dominant theme at Brimfield in all seasons. We always wonder who buys and sells all the rusted tools, parts, and other objects that have seen better days. I've never known anyone who loved rusty junk but there must be countless buyers out there, judging from the extent of the rusty merch at Brimfield. Here's some classic rust, accented by a crate of useless, rusting round things:


It wouldn't be Brimfield without at least one hideous sweater and a mannequin in a gas mask. Some dealer took care of both necessities, and threw in some toy tanks for effect:


Stay tuned for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unless you are spamming me about, say, Skype, I love getting comments and do my best to follow up if you have a question. I delete ALL spam, attempts to market other websites, and anything nasty or unintelligible. The cats and I thank you for reading — and please do leave a comment that isn't spam, etc.