Thursday, August 13, 2015

Heading to Maine

A warm thank you and virtual hug to everyone to congratulated us on the end of our house hunt. Your comments were lovely to read, and I am grateful that you came along on our long, bumpy ride. 

I will post more about what the new place is like, but not tonight. I need to be in the right frame of mind. It is not a perfect place; it has a few significant shortcomings along with many features we will love. To describe it fairly I need to be in the right frame of mind. And my moods are all over the place these days: at any given minute I might be in shock, filled with joy or dread, or simply overwhelmed by all the labor , logistics, decisions, and expenses that lay ahead. 

I also have this idea that we will be completely poverty-stricken carrying two properties for however many months it takes us to fix up and sell our current place. It really feels like a huge, scary financial stretch, especially for this frugal daughter of Depression-era parents. But it seems it had to be done if we were ever going to move. Our mortgage guy/banker (who closes his many of emails with "Love and Peace,") says it's okay; perhaps we foolish for trusting him and his hippie charm. But I keep finding myself asking friends for recipes that include a lot of water.

I'm also already feeling homesick for this apartment, even though we've been so desperate to leave it. For one thing, it's my strongest, most direct connection to the Sabines, who I plan continue to research and eventually write about. I love our place because it was theirs. 

My emotional roller-coaster is normal. Moving is commonly considered one of life's most traumatic experiences; on psychologists' Stressful Event Scale, it's just behind "death of a loved one" and "divorce." Knowing this is a small comfort... sometimes. At any rate, I'm allowing myself to freak out for a certain amount of each day.

At least I'm not feeling the horror and "this is wrong" gut feeling I had when we thought we were buying that house in Newton. That was truly awful. This is awful, too, but at least I believe we're buying a great place for us, so there's excitement when there isn't trepidation. And when the dust settles, there's hope that we'll slowly start to feel that there's no place like home — again. 

But, first, we're escaping to Maine tomorrow. We're heading to the inn in Southwest Harbor for a week, with a stop along the way to visit Connie's kittens one more time before they head to the shelter to be adopted. (No, not to pick out a little fuzzy housewarming present. No, no, no. That's Lion.) It will be good to get out of here and get some distance and perspective. In the hot tub, of course.

I will try to post at least a few time while we're up there. 

I am extra glad to escape here because I found a scary critter in my kitchen cupboard today:


2 comments:

  1. Have you been back to the Jordan Pond House under the new management? I first started going there on your recommendation and we loved it. But we didn't make it there last year and we're headed to Acadia (and camping at Seawall) the week after you. Inquiring minds want to know...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelly, it's always nice to hear from you! We have been to the JPH several times and it's just fine. The changes are mostly of the "pearl-clutching" type that don't really affect the overall experience. The outdoor benches are plastic, not wood. The dishes don't have the little sketch of the Bubbles. You have to pay extra for popovers with more entrees. (And no more unlimited popovers with dinner, sob,) They skimp more on the butter, so you just ask for more... and the menu has changed somewhat and prices may have risen a bit. Pretty minor, in other words. A lot of the long-time employees are still there, we heard, they still hire nice college-age kids as servers, the food is pretty similar, and the Bubbles are still there, so it's still a great place to go.

      The popovers have always been a bit off in early June but by August they are great. It seems to take them a couple of weeks to get the hang of it each summer... This was corroborated by one of our innkeepers, who knows a long-time popover maker. I can't wait to have my first August popover. Have a great time next week!

      Delete

Unless you are spamming me about, say, Skype, I love getting comments and do my best to follow up if you have a question. I delete ALL spam, attempts to market other websites, and anything nasty or unintelligible. The cats and I thank you for reading — and please do leave a comment that isn't spam, etc.