Wednesday, December 16, 2015

A Wreath of Character


I spotted this romantic wreath on Charles Street in Beacon Hill last week, as we walked to the taqueria for burritos. It was an unseasonably balmy December evening, which felt more like September (although September often feels as warm as July nowadays). 

I like wreaths that aren't made from materials other than the usual fir branches. One exception: I saw some all-holly wreaths at Wilson Farm that made my fingers curl protectively in sympathy — gorgeous, but too reminiscent of suffering.

This wreath is made of cedar, the floppiest of all the holiday greens, which gave it loads of character. It was droopy, asymmetrical, and delightfully old-fashioned. I wonder if it was homemade:

And since it was hanging on the door of a realtor, it was decorated with keys:


My hands recovered quickly from wreath week... but on Monday, I cut myself with my pruners while trimming balsam branches for one of our mantels. There's a deep, half-inch slice into the heel of my left hand, and I can't explain how it happened. I just know it hurt like hell and bled like mad. Fortunately, the timing was good, as I was almost finished decorating: the tree and wreaths were finished, the empty boxes were all put away, and I was just about done with the mantels. I'd even polished the silver. So I slapped on a bandage and tried to take it easy. But I still had to vacuum and that made it hurt and bleed again. So I have a new excuse to avoid my least-favorite chore. There's always a silver lining if you look hard enough.

2 comments:

  1. Love the wreath - simple and witty at the same time. The key to a successful holiday?

    ReplyDelete
  2. how very clever.. I like it..

    And I am sorry to hear about your hand.. but yes, silver linings are pretty coo

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments and do my best to follow up if you have a question. I delete spam, attempts to market other websites, and anything nasty or unintelligible. The cats and I thank you for reading — and please do leave a comment that isn't spam, etc.