Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Happy Gotcha Day, Lion (a Little Late)

Lion's Gotcha Day was Monday, but we were in Manhattan for a couple of days so we couldn't celebrate properly. What an adorable kitten he was:




And what a sweet, strange little fellow he has grown up to be. This photo was taken a couple of months ago, before he lost his winter coat:


I'm not sure why Lion and Toffee decided to wear their summer coats now, when they were fluffed out with big ruffs and long, heavy coats in the summer and early fall. I suspect it has something to do with both of them losing a bet... probably with Harris.

He is by turns timid and demanding of affection. He will smack away at my arms and head at night, complaining with soft meows until I give him my full attention. We'll gaze into each other's eyes as he purrs, kneading away on my jeans or sweater, "making biscuits." But he vanishes soon after breakfast most mornings, sleeping away the day in hiding (unless he hears me getting out the cheese or decides he's in the mood to play).

It's hard to believe we spent weeks and months feeling conflicted about keeping him two years ago. (After the first week or two, it was my husband who needed persuading. I continually remind him of his poor judgment as he coos over Lion these days.) 

Lion is essential to our happiness and life wouldn't be complete without him.

1 comment:

  1. This makes me happy.

    Happy Gotcha Day my little Cowardly Lion..

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments and do my best to follow up if you have a question. I delete spam, attempts to market other websites, and anything nasty or unintelligible. The cats and I thank you for reading — and please do leave any comment that isn't spam.