Friday, January 29, 2016

So That's Where They Went

After my physical yesterday, I went upstairs for some lab tests and passed this office on the way:


There were no clues. No one was in the waiting area, which I assume is stocked with Scientific American, The Economist, and The Atlantic. I didn't see any staff but I assume they were wearing pearls and/or smoking pipes while sporting drip-dry Haband pants (with comfort waistbands) or Talbot's separates.

I went home and did some research and it's supposed to be this:
Founded by MassMutual and design consultancy IDEO, Society of Grownups is a learning initiative that seeks to change, and open up, the conversation around money. We offer classes, chats, supper clubs, networking events, and one-on-one sessions with CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ professionals. We empower Grownups through personalized conversations about individual situations and goals, and develop specific plans with actionable steps, so Grownups can pursue the lives they want.
But this company's offices are supposed to on Beacon Street and the office pictured above is on Washington Street. I assume I found a different Society of Grownups. This office is surrounded by medical offices, so I further assume that people gather there to discuss bunions, gallstones, hot flashes, prostates, and bursitis, perhaps while knitting or playing bridge.

It makes sense that the office is in Brookline; it is a terribly grown-up town. You can't park on its streets after 1 am; you need to be an adult with your own parking space or else go home to your parents. Check out the latest police report and see how alert, nervous, and sensitive the residents of Brookline are. They complain about noisy parties after 9 pm and report that their W-2 forms were stolen (only another adult would steal a W-2 form). Please note that turkeys are a common theme in the police reports.

Turkeys aside, I'm beginning to think we should move there. I'm learning to appreciate grownups, although I may never become one.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoy your blog; found you when searching for the Jordan Pond Popover Recipe and though I didn't overnight the batter, they turned out well enough to fill with butter and strawberry jam. Anyhow, today I really enjoyed that Brookline Mass police report.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is a lot of use of the term grownup. Don't get me wrong, I think it is an awesome thing to get people talking about finance, but I'm not sure I'd want to participate in THAT group..

    ReplyDelete

Unless you are spamming me about, say, Skype, I love getting comments and do my best to follow up if you have a question. I delete ALL spam, attempts to market other websites, and anything nasty or unintelligible. The cats and I thank you for reading — and please do leave a comment that isn't spam, etc.