Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Green Boas for the Ladies

Out for a Sunday walk on the 15th, on the Commonwealth Avenue Mall, we found the figures of the Boston Women's Memorial dressed up in fluffy green boas:


I can find no online explanation for why Abigail Adams, Phyllis Wheatley, and Lucy Stone were decked out in so much green frippery. It was interesting, but mostly it was just odd.


No one accessorizes our monuments to men. That is, aside from the large nude, Quest Eternal, that used to be outside the Prudential Center:


Photo: Boston Art Commission

He sometimes wore a Santa hat in December or the jersey of one of the local teams. Once someone did the obvious and natural thing, and dressed him as a delivery man holding a pizza box aloft. He looked perfect. We miss him and hope he returns when the construction is done.

These ladies, who were all interested in ideas, words, and action, strike me as self-conscious and uncomfortable in their boas.  



But someone clearly went to much trouble and some expense to honor these ladies with greenery. If anyone knows why, please let me know.

Update (June 21): An alert reader solved the mystery — a florist is recycling wedding flowers in creative (and brief) installations around the city. Check out this story on Boston.com.


 


4 comments:

  1. While the boas are lovely, they seem misplaced. Did you notice the doggie in the background of one of your pictures? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chip! Yes, I did notice that "dog being a dog" but only when I was back home, editing the photos. And then I forgot to point it out... It's a common enough sight around here; less common is the human being attentive and cleaning up afterward.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found the answer! A local wedding floral designer repurposes flower arrangments instead of tossing them into the trash after the wedding.

    http://www.boston.com/culture/arts/2016/06/21/wedding-florist-installing-public-flower-arrangements-around-boston

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And now I that I know the flowers are recycled, I think it's a great idea!

      Delete

I love getting comments and do my best to follow up if you have a question. I delete spam, attempts to market other websites, and anything nasty or unintelligible. The cats and I thank you for reading — and please do leave a comment that isn't spam, etc.