Saturday, May 28, 2016

Insommmnnnnnia


Insomnia is rare in cats because they work hard at sleeping and become very good at it after lots of practice.  Ours lie around resting all day, polishing their napping techniques, and it's exhausting; it wears them out.

I've found a cure for the rest of us: Agatha Christie's first murder mystery featuring Inspector Poirot, The Mysterious Affair at Styles. published in 1920. Towards the end of the Great War, there's a poisoning at an English country house and many are suspected. Poirot is a refugee in the village and a friend of a friend of the family. He investigates by doing and saying mysterious things, making mysterious discoveries, and asking mysterious questions. All of this is reported by the narrator on every page, with never any lucid explanation. Given the total lack of clarity, I fell asleep after every two pages on average. By the time all is revealed at the end, you no longer care who committed the crime; you only wish Poirot were real so you could smack him. And you are surprisingly well rested.


2 comments:

  1. Well I have to disagree :) I have an Abyssinian who, as typical of the breed, bounces off the walls 24/7 and does not ever sleep. Trying to keep up with his extreme zoomies is enough to make me tired and fall right asleep, lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elle,

    I just had to jump over and thank you for your darling comment! It really made me feel better and put things in perspective. I don't know what it is, but somehow one nasty comment has the weight of 200 wonderful comments. Need to work on that one. It should be the other way around. The wonderful comments should be so heavy, that they decimate the trolls. But when I read those stinging words, I seem to forget everything else.

    I think I told you before that my son lives in Boston. LOVE Boston. If it wasn't so cold, I'd consider moving there, but if I go and I might, I think I'd prefer someplace warmer.

    Your kitties are so cute. I had a wonderful kitty Peaches and it destroyed me when he passed in Dec. 2014. I still talk to him like I used to when he was alive. And he talks back like he used to when he was alive. He always sets me straight and cheers me on! lol Guess I'm a "crazy cat-lady" at heart. But I can't bring myself to get another one. Too painful. xo, Laurel

    PS: I want to sign up for your blog but don't see a signup form. It's exceedingly charming and beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments and do my best to follow up if you have a question. I delete spam, attempts to market other websites, and anything nasty or unintelligible. The cats and I thank you for reading — and please do leave any comment that isn't spam.