Monday, May 2, 2016

Possum Preens


When I saw Possum stretched out on the bed with Wendy the other day, I was reminded of Holly Hunter's scene in Broadcast News,  where she plays Jane, a Washington journalist. One of Jane's frustrated colleagues says to her, "It must be nice to always believe you know better, to always think you’re the smartest person in the room."

Jane misses the sarcasm and says honestly: "No, it's awful." 

Watching the movie for the first time in 1987, I felt a tiny shock of recognition. I knew just what she meant. I've grown steadily less brilliant as the years have passed, however. Fortunately.


Looking at Possum, I couldn't resist saying that line to him. He hasn't seen the movie yet.


He agreed that it's nice to always be the smartest person in the room. It was a little more perplexing when he was younger, he said, but now that he's 6, he's used to it. Just as always being the best-looking person everywhere he goes is not a problem anymore, either.




"But, Possum," I said, "How can you be so sure you're always the smartest and best-looking?" 

He said, "Your asking me that proves that you will never have to worry about finding yourself in my position. I'm scheduled to nap now. Why don't you go do things?"


I did.

1 comment:

  1. Wendy almost looks like she is asking him "how can you be so calm in the presence of that lady thing"

    ReplyDelete

Unless you are spamming me about, say, Skype, I love getting comments and do my best to follow up if you have a question. I delete ALL spam, attempts to market other websites, and anything nasty or unintelligible. The cats and I thank you for reading — and please do leave a comment that isn't spam, etc.