Saturday, June 25, 2016

In Pennsylvania

Postcards from Maine are slightly delayed by yet another trip. We are in Bethlehem to celebrate my dad's 102nd birthday and meet his first great-grandchild, our great-nephew. Unfortunately my dad is in the hospital, since he fell earlier this week. He has a few bruises and will be evaluated for physical therapy and sent to a rehab center, which will help him with walking, balance, and strength, we hope. He is getting excellent care and is in decent spirits.

At the moment I'm lounging by the pool at our wonderful inn. I enjoyed this earlier today, too, after a substantial breakfast: berries and banana, cheddar cheese soufflé, toasted homemade bread, a sausage, and a cranberry scone.

I seem to like pools so much that just sitting by one can make me perfectly happy and relaxed — no need to get wet.

We spent most of the day with my dad. He needed to be spoon-fed his lunch but, when we got to the lemon meringue pie, he took the fork from me and ate it by himself, with gusto and finesse. That's my father. He has peanut butter cups for snacks and can handle those, too. Salad, rice, meat, soup... not so much.

Soon we'll head back to the hospital for a scaled-down birthday celebration with my siblings. I hear there will be cake. In the meantime, I think I might get wet. And there are homemade cookies nearby, the best ever. When we return to Boston on Monday (after a wedding in Brooklyn), we will get back on the nutritional straight and narrow, more or less.

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, our favorite inn! and I hope your father is on the mend. Happy Birthday to him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday to your dad, and what a joy you get to be a part of it

    ReplyDelete
  3. 102! Wow, your dad is one tough customer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, so I love your post anyway...but you have my heart for the sentence in which toast and scone both appear for breakfast. We often choose an inn for our anniversary, and I enjoy on those occassions both the toast and the scone, thank you very much!!!

    ReplyDelete

Unless you are spamming me about, say, Skype, I love getting comments and do my best to follow up if you have a question. I delete ALL spam, attempts to market other websites, and anything nasty or unintelligible. The cats and I thank you for reading — and please do leave a comment that isn't spam, etc.