Thursday, December 15, 2016

Wreath Week with the Garden Club: Day 3

Wednesday is the home stretch of Wreath Week: we're halfway done with our orders by Wednesday morning — or we should be. This year, we were on track, unlike other years when we realized we had to hustle.

I found this big spray of holly when I pulled a handful from a bag. It was so beautiful I had to photograph it:


It was too big for a wreath and far too poisonous to take home, so I gave it to someone who knew what to do with it and didn't have cats.

My first wreath was for yet another all-natural outdoor wreath with a red bow and some gold accents:


By Wednesday, we're often running low on some materials. This year it was pinecones. I was aghast. Fortunately, I begin hoarding some of my favorite materials on Monday morning, so I had plenty of them to get through the day, as well as more holly. I covered these with glitter spray for a subtle effect. This wreath also has pine sprays, more tiny gold bells, gold-glittered plastic twigs. I'm not an inventive decorator; I tend to use too little gold, or else I go overboard and create a monster.

If you go to the Garden Club's excellent website, where a "Wreath of the Day" is featured, you'll see many of the spectacular wreaths that everyone else creates, and which I ought to use as examples for expand my own skills.

That said, I really like decorating all-natural wreaths that have no bows and I think I manage to pull off a nice, old-fashioned look. Without a bow, the materials with a mix of colors and textures makes it interesting:


This wreath contains most of of my favorite "usual suspects:" pinecones, holly, silvery dried eucalyptus berries (left over from last year), smelly eucalyptus pods, golden yarrow and some scratchy yellow-green stuff that is either cedar or juniper. (If I don't know what some type of green is, I just call it "juniper" to be done with it.) Those pointy white things are milkweed pods. They are very fragile and I tend to wreck them as I wire them to the wreath but they were needed here.

Wreaths always look better outside in sunlight than under fluorescent tubes in our church basement:


My next project began with a big, bright bow that cowed me:


Lacking the skills to work with lots of glittery plastic items, I used what little I could handle and went to town with sprayed gold pinecones and lotus and yucca pods instead. There was still plenty of good holly, too, although it was running low. I added some red glass balls and more of those charming little gold bells and called it quits. 

I used similar materials for the next wreath, which is now hanging on a black door on Marlborough Street. The bow was sparkly, with gold, red, and green on the front, but burgundy on the back. There are some glittered gold leaves tucked in the greens, as well as sprays of sparkly red beads and more of those tiny gold jingle bells. I was crazy about those bells. They reminded me of something I'd once read about, probably in The Rise of Silas Lapham: the sleek, shiny, horse-drawn sleighs that once raced down Beacon Street in the evenings after a snowfall, packed with young Bostonians joking, singing, and having fun. 


My last wreath was "designer's choice" — phew! Back in my element, using mostly all-natural materials. The rosy bow was so pretty I ordered one like it for my bedroom wreath. The big leaves are eucalyptus. The lotus pods and pinecones are sprayed with glitter and gold and are still attached to their branches. The rose hips are mixed with sparkly red beads. For greens, I used some very soft and fluffy green stuff I can't identify and more of the yellowish-green "juniper."



4 comments:

  1. You do amazing work! The wreath photographed outside against the brick is my favorite, but all are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just love the designer's choice wreath with the eucalyptus. I also love the bells and am going to look for them for my own wreaths.... thank you for sharing these pictures! Anne C.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love natural wreaths with no bow. That is what I have - although it is fake :-( I wonder if there is a group in Dallas TX that does what you guys do - definitely worth it. You do a lovely job. Happy Hollydays to you. LindaM.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments and do my best to follow up if you have a question. I delete spam, attempts to market other websites, and anything nasty or unintelligible. The cats and I thank you for reading — and please do leave any comment that isn't spam.