Sunday, February 12, 2017

Hygge

Another snowy day spent indoors. I've stayed inside for three of the past four days and, while I miss getting exercise, I also like being warm and lazy. I think I will have had enough of my easy chair by tomorrow even though the snow is supposed to be worse then. Cabin fever will propel me out into the thick of it, unless it's really a blizzard.


I've reserved three books from the Boston Public Library on the trending topic of hygge,* the Danish practice of making winter more pleasant. It will be interesting to see if there's enough material to fill one decent book, and if it's worthwhile to read all three.

I will let you know what I learn but, in the meantime, here's a good summary with tips that I've found so far. It boils down to making your life cozier, healthily indulgent and more sociable:

  • lots of candles and soft lighting, day or night
  • hot drinks, from cocoa to mulled wine
  • warm socks or slippers
  • hearty, comfort food, eaten at home 
  • casual socializing at home
  • blankets and throws
  • fires, if you have a fireplace
  • watching the snow
  • decorating with greens, flowers, and plants 
  • limiting screen time (a tough one for me)
  • going out daily for fun exercise and activities. 
All of these are simple, healthy ways to make the most of winter and promote happiness at this darkest, coldest time of the year. I'd add snuggling with cats and reading good books to the list. I hope those are hygge; they'd better be.

I'd also add being careful to limit the overwhelming amount of upsetting, nearly incredible news coming from Washington every day. We need to be informed citizens, but we also need to be active citizens, so focus on that every day, too. Do whatever you can and you will feel a little better. You can:

  • donate to causes and candidates 
  • subscribe to professional journalism (we have The Boston Globe, New York Times, Washington Post, and The New Yorker. The Atlantic is probably next. Plus Vanity Fair — a whole year cost me $5 after Trump dissed it and they responded with an offer to good to refuse)
  • join political action groups, locally or nationally
  • write or make calls to your elected officials
  • sign all the petitions circulating online (I have doubts about the value, but if it makes you feel better. . . )
  • become active in your own neighborhood, city, or town
  • attend marches, protests, and other organized gatherings
  • volunteer to make a difference to the less fortunate.
So let's get to it, but I really don't think I'm going out to frolic in the storm or be a one-woman protest movement today.

Possum, being Norwegian, says he has mastered the art of hygge in his own way, which looks more like hibernating, I'd say. He only wakes up to eat or snuggle with Harris or my husband. (Rarely with me.)




* Try saying "HUE-gah" in your best Danish accent.

3 comments:

  1. Winter was ruined for me the first time I vacationed in Florida in February...why was I living in Michigan when I could be someplace warm instead?!? However, since I've been highjacked by friendly feral cats and must be outdoors to feed and tend them at least twice each day, I've slowly been enjoying standing in the backyard in a snowstorm, or when a gently snow is falling and all sound is deadened.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cats are masters of Hygge. We only need to follow their example

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have new Danish neighbors who are teaching us well about Hygge.
    Stay cozy!

    ReplyDelete

Unless you are spamming me about, say, Skype, I love getting comments and do my best to follow up if you have a question. I delete ALL spam, attempts to market other websites, and anything nasty or unintelligible. The cats and I thank you for reading — and please do leave a comment that isn't spam, etc.