Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Possum Poses

Possum has been interested in art history since he was a tiny kitten and I read to him from a Museum of Fine Arts picture book. His first favorite artist was John Singleton Copley, probably because of Boy with a Squirrel. The MFA now calls it Boy with a Flying Squirrel, probably because it is a flying squirrel and they don't look like regular squirrels, so people always wondered if Copley was better at painting boys than squirrels. The squirrel is very nicely painted. Possum certainly found it intensely appealing.

Possum and I share a favorite artist now, John Singer Sargent, but I have been encouraging him to continue to study art, especially European art, to broaden his education. So he's been reading about British contemporaries of Sargent, including Frederick Leighton.

So I wasn't surprised when I saw Possum sleeping in this pose:


That about as close as a stout gray tabby cat can get to recreating Leighton's Flaming June. 


You can read a little about the painting's history and the model here.

4 comments:

  1. Oooh, John Singer Sargent is one of my favs! I've never seen 'Boy with Flying Squirrel' before; it's delightful! Possum definitely has a good pose going in his nap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful pose. I love the little addition of the paw holding leg. Too fabulous for words!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi PB - Nothing having to do with this post, but this is the easiest way for me to get in touch with you! I'm running the Boston Marathon in April and I need some suggestions for a place in downtown Boston to get a steak and potato dinner the night before (which unfortunately, is Easter). I don't want to pay an arm and a leg - so not like Morton's steakhouse or anything - just need a piece of beef and a potato! Would also love the opportunity to meet you for coffee while I am there; long time follower who always appreciates your insights and shares your love of teapots, Paris, good food, arts, and Boston. =)

    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathryn, thanks for your message and for reading my blog! I've sorry to report that my husband and I can't come up with a good, affordable steak in downtown Boston. I don't eat it; my husband wants one about once a year, so we go to the Capital Grille or Abe & Louie, and make am event out of it. You can get a skirt steak and truffled fries at Stephanie's on Newbury. Aside from that I'm drawing a blank. And since it's Easter, many places may be closed or offering a limited holiday menu. My advice would be to look at the boards on Chowhound.com and ask the question yourself if you don't find some advice there. Best of luck to you! We may miss this marathon since we hope to be traveling then.

      Delete

Unless you are spamming me about, say, Skype, I love getting comments and do my best to follow up if you have a question. I delete ALL spam, attempts to market other websites, and anything nasty or unintelligible. The cats and I thank you for reading — and please do leave a comment that isn't spam, etc.