Friday, June 23, 2017

Postcards from Maine: Along the Way

I'm in a hurry to post some Maine postcards before we take off for another (short) trip in a couple of days. And there's another trip coming up soon after that.

The drive to Southwest Harbor takes a full day because we make several stops for food, shopping, and visiting friends. Here are some postcards from the drive north.

No photos were taken in Freeport, where we split a blueberry frosted donut from Frosty's. It didn't survive long enough for me to get out my iPhone and snap it, partly because my fingers were covered in glaze. As usual, my husband lucked out at the Allen Edmonds outlet, where he often gets great deals. This time we found two beautiful Italian merino sweaters for $34, instead of $175. They came in handy on the island because he hadn't packed enough warm clothing. (I bought a Cuddledown pillow that was so firm it made my ears hurt. I returned it on the drive home.) 

Flowers in a window box in Wiscasset:


We always have lunch at Sprague's in Wiscasset — cheese hot dogs on toasted, buttered buns. I will swear that a Sprague's hot dog instantly cured me from a miserable IBS attack last June. I know that makes no sense, but they are magic to me now. (I did have a superb lobster roll in Bar Harbor on this trip. I have to be in the mood.)


Sprague's is kitschy but nobody cares.


We visited friends in Thomaston who live right on Route 1, in a restored sea captain's house with four cats. They hired a yacht builder to spruce up the interior over many years. Here is their yacht-worthy guest bathroom, which we covet:


The floor is inlaid wood; the ceiling is wood-paneled. Every inch has a perfect, glassy sheen.


The harbor in Camden, where there are always a few old sailing ships:  


Not photographed: At the deli on Maine Street, I got a chocolate-and-mint frosted brownie and my husband got a weighty item that was part brownie, part cookie, and part petrified cookie dough. It took us two days to finish them. Needless to say, we gained a few pounds on this trip and we are appalled. (Here at home yesterday morning, this happened: our digital scale lied to me at first, saying I was five pounds lighter, just where I hoped to be. I was thrilled! Then it corrected itself. I was dashed into the depths of despair.)

We are trying to do better now.  And that won't last, since we'll be traveling to Pennsylvania Dutch Country soon.

In the meantime, this blog post is heading north:

After Thomaston, I always start fretting aloud about the fate of of the crumbling old house in Searsport. You may remember that we met. Mr. Brown, the owner and toured the interior with him last October. Now that we know that he is actually dismantling it, I was more afraid than ever that there'd be an empty lot in its place. But look — it is still standing, looking quite like its usual decrepit self:


I do miss the two-story addition on the left, which had a deeply bowed roof with an increasingly big hole skylight. But that was already gone last October, when we went inside. Mr. Brown seemed busy, so we didn't stop to chat with him. When we return in August, we hope to talk to him again. I expect we'll see much more demolition, and I don't want to think about it.

It was evening when we arrived in Southwest Harbor. We unpacked, caught up with the innkeepers, and realized we were starving despite having essentially eaten our way north. We went out for sandwiches. We caught this glimpse of the harbor as we walked to Main Street. It turned out to be the only pink sunset of the week:


The inn has nice new mattresses and we slept soundly. More postcards to come.
SaveSave

2 comments:

  1. I'm kinda in love with that bathroom.. impressive.

    I wonder what kind of flowers those are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be intimidated in that fancy bathroom! Love the pink sunset, reflected in the water.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments and do my best to follow up if you have a question. I delete spam, attempts to market other websites, and anything nasty or unintelligible. The cats and I thank you for reading — and please do leave a comment that isn't spam, etc.